Friday, December 5, 2008

You may have seen a show on TV recently like CSI, House or Medical Mysteries where the patient was diagnosed with Porphyria. Most people will watch those shows and say "oh I don't have that" when in reality those shows take the worst cases and sensationalize them. If you have mysterious abdominal pains that cannot be explained by a doctor along with a checklist of various symptoms that may or may not manifest every time you have a possibility of having Porphyria especially if there is family history of the same unexplained symptoms. While it can affect you mentally it doesn't always and the most common mental symptom is depression. Sometimes it manifests as what we call a "fog" where you just aren't "with it" and get confused easily. I personally have trouble with my breathing and temporary incontinence because my muscles get weak. And the feeling of being wired... you are exhausted but just can't seem to get to sleep. That's when I start to carb load. Carbs don't have to be tons of sugars and cakes, it can be a baked potato or other complex carbs and most guidelines say you should eat carbs every three hours. Many people have to watch what they eat but aside from sulphites and MSG I've been pretty lucky. I don't take any prescriptions which I believe is why I'm able to tolerate more than alot of people as far as triggers. There is a long list of triggers and someone should avoid as many of them as possible but still live as normal a life as you can.

No comments: